The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

Robotics Club builds for the future

Following in her sister’s footsteps, Junior Jamaelyn Sanders joined the robotics team to fulfill her interest in robots and grow closer to her dream career.

“I was really into robots when I was younger, and when I found out we had a robotics team, I really wanted to join,” Sanders said. “When I grow up, I want to be an architect/engineer.”

“When my sister was here back in 2019, she was in the robotics team and whenever she sent me pictures and videos about what they do, I was really interested and I wanted to join when I was . . . I couldn’t do it freshman year, so I did it my sophomore year.”

Coding, programming, building, and of course, robots. If you’re interested in any of these, our school’s robotics team is always looking for new members.

The robotics club is specifically targeted towards anyone interested in S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).

“Joining robotics allows students to use engineering concepts to design, build and program a robot to perform specific tasks that the FIRST Tech Robotics Challenge competition requires of the team,” said Robotics Club Coach Joseph Hussey. “The Robotics Team allows for total creativity and ingenuity from students.”

Members’ skills will be put to the test from time to time against other robotics teams during competitions around the area.

“Students will work together as a team to build a robot and compete with and against other teams while demonstrating gracious professionalism, which is the ability to compete while treating others with respect regardless of outcome in the competition,” Mr. Hussey said. 

“This leads to treating everybody with respect and kindness, even when teams are working together or competing against each other.”

Sanders’ favorite part of the robotics club is the competitions. 

“They’re really very [adrenaline inducing]. You’re thinking if your robot’s gonna work or not, or if it’s going to fail or not. Like, those things make your adrenaline go up. And I think the competitions, going against other people around other schools in the district . . . I think that’s the best thing that makes me happy so far.”

If you’re worried that you should already have knowledge on the subjects within the club, a student isn’t required to have prior knowledge on the subjects in the club in order to join. 

“Students who join should expect to learn the design process of building a robot. This engineering design process is used to identify the task, brainstorm ideas, build prototypes, test the design, redesign for improvement. This process is repeated several times until a finished robot is built,” Mr. Hussey said.

Sanders has learned numerous things from the club that aid in her everyday life.

“So far what I’ve learned is the different parts of tools, different parts of nails and stuff like that, different parts of how to use a 3D printer, how to build, how to code. All those things really help me benefit with my real life too,” she said.

With building robots also comes a friendly environment. The robotics club isn’t all about just sitting in a room and building robots, they do other fun things as well.

“There’s this one time last year where we got the Control Award, which is a big deal in the robotics community,” Senior Floyd Archie said. “Then, the year before that, we had a lot of fun just riding on the bus and going out to eat. The competitions were also very fun – just spending a very good time all around.”

“It’s a great place to meet new people and friends. It’s a pretty good place for that too,” he said.