The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

Seniors offer advice to help freshmen transition

Although she is class president now, Senior Selena Garcia regrets some things she did in freshman and sophomore year. Taking action and being involved in school helped shape her into the person she is today. 

“Freshman and Sophomore year I didn’t take school seriously and it definitely has an effect on me now, I would change my mindset for sure,” Garcia said.  

During high school, creating bonds with your teachers helps a lot, she said. When you have good behavior the teacher recognizes your good behavior and that opens doors for new opportunities. You don’t have to worry about getting sent to the office for bad behavior.

“They helped guide me when I needed it,” Gracia said. 

As a freshman it can be difficult making friends, keeping up with work, studying etc. 

The most you can do is to try your best. Don’t let your school work stress you out.

“Joining fun clubs and meeting others allowed me to have fun while being successful in my schoolwork,” Senior Zaria Swain said. 

Also building great relationships with your counselor helps they can give you pointers, recommend you to organizations and form a unique bond with you. 

“If you’re struggling to focus, find a study buddy so you guys can motivate each other,” Swain said. 

If you are still struggling try to surround yourself with people who have the same goals who can motivate you to stay focused. When it comes to studying, it is not always easy to find the best study methods. It all depends on the subject.

“Practice active recall instead of passive recall. This could be done through flashcards, practice questions, or quizzing yourself,” Swain said.

If you’re struggling making new friends, finding study buddies you can watch study with me videos on youtube.  Get  out of your comfort zone you are most likely to meet like minded people from different clubs or sports.

“Personally, don’t try too hard, and be yourself. Eventually, the right people will find you,”  Senior Carlton Clay said. “Don’t force relationships between people simply because you want things to work out.”