The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Plastics return after 20 years

Promotional photo shows Cady and The Plastics whispering.

The Plastics are back in the highly anticipated Mean Girls musical remake that has hit theaters, and it’s shining brighter than ever. With a whopping $28.6 million in box office earnings over its opening weekend, this film is well on its way to recouping the $36 million invested in the project.

Mean Girls follows the journey of Cady Heron, a new student in high school after being homeschooled all her life. Alongside her newfound friends Damian and Janis, who are well-versed in the intricacies of high school life, Cady encounters the clique that reigns supreme: The Plastics. This group includes the not-so-bright Karen, the secret-keeper Gretchen (hence her big hair), and the queen bee herself, Regina George. The Plastics take Cady under their wing and introduce her to the wild side of ruling high school. However, when Regina reveals her true colors to Cady, Damian, Janis, and Cady team up to seek revenge, leading to an epic “Revenge Party” at the school.

Originally released in 2004, the Mean Girls movie quickly became a cult classic. It is a fun and charming teen movie that delivers a powerful message without feeling cheesy or forced. Tina Fey, the creator of the 2004 film, later adapted it for the Broadway stage, with her husband writing the music. The musical debuted on April 8, 2018, and received 12 Tony nominations, including “Best Musical.” Although it didn’t win any awards, Mean Girls continued its successful run until the COVID-19 shutdown, which temporarily halted the world of Broadway. However, in January 2020, Tina Fey announced a new twist on the Mean Girls movie.

This updated version of the film stays true to the original story but falls a bit short in terms of writing. Some of the jokes in the movie hit the mark, while others miss it, especially the TikTok references that are sprinkled throughout. Unfortunately, the main character, Cady, lacks a strong presence and often blends into the background compared to the side characters. The true stars of the film are Regina George (played by Reneé Rapp), Karen Shetty (Avantika Vandanapu), Janis (Auliʻi Cravalho), and Damian (Jaquel Spivey). Their exceptional performances and seamless integration into the world of Mean Girls make the movie worth watching. Without them, the film would fall flat.

On a positive note, the cinematography of the film is impressive. The camera work gives the illusion of being in a music video and makes even the smallest sets feel grand. The soundtrack is also noteworthy, featuring a mix of rock and pop songs. While some songs may not resonate with everyone, there are definitely a few that will have you hitting the replay button.

Will this movie live up to the high standards set by its audience? Probably not, but it does justice to the original 2004 film and offers a fresh perspective for a new generation.