The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

Special spots to share with your special someone

Valentine’s Day may be over, but it’s not too late to take that special someone to the perfect date spot. Here are my top 8 date spots in the local area. These spots are affordable, fun, and have a great atmosphere. (ranked from most expensive to least):

• Wu’s House (Vegetarian Friendly)

Wu’s House is a fan favorite spot for MHS students so I would recommend a reservation. With their extensive menu and entertaining hibachi chefs this is a perfect spot for a first date. The restaurant offers a large variety of Asian foods including hibachi, sushi, Thai, and Chinese-American favorites. Despite the somewhat high prices, the portion sizes are far more than enough for two people. I would recommend the hibachi combo option which includes 2 meats of your choice, clear soup (which is amazing), hibachi noodles and vegetables, chicken fried rice, and 2 pieces of shrimp. The menu also offers an extensive sushi menu, with large portions. I would recommend the “Philadelphia” roll to share. The average cost per person is about $40, making this the most expensive spot on this list. 

• Square Roots (Vegetarian Friendly)

Square Roots is a gastro-pub, with a handcrafted rotating menu. Located on the Crown Point square by the library, this popular restaurant is an amazing place for a special date night. The restaurant does not take reservations,however I would recommend putting your name on the waiting list(if applicable) and then taking a stroll on the beautiful Crown Point square. A menu must definitely would be the “Deep Roots Brisket Nachos”. I honestly cannot say enough about these nachos, they never last more than 10 minutes on my table! I would also recommend being careful with what you order as the menu creations are unimaginably huge. The “Hall Of Famer” is also a smash hit for me and my boyfriend and you just have to pair it with the “truffle parmesan fries”. The average cost per person is around $20-30 depending on what you order. 

• Pho-Fusion and Jasmine Tea

Pho fusion is a hidden gem in between Crown Point and Merrillville. The menu offers American, Vietnamese ,and other Asian fusions. There is also an extensive selection of boba teas and smoothies to pair with your meal. The atmosphere is known for its relaxing ambience and friendly staff. I would recommend either the “Pork Belly Bao Buns”, “Steak and Smoked Brisket” Pho, or the “Loaded Lobster Rangoon”. The portion sizes are also extremely generous for the prices. The average cost per person is around $20 and most meals are shareable. As for drinks, I love the “Caribbean Breeze” smoothie which is strawberry, pineapple, and fresh bananas. I would pair this smoothie with lychee popping boba and the “Steak and Smoked Brisket” or “Cajun Shrimp” pho. 

• Emagine Theaters in Portage

Emagine offers a luxury movie experience for a fraction of the price. Tickets start at $8 and the popcorn and menu is extremely extensive. Patrons can buy their tickets ahead of time or at  arrival, and order fresh buttered popcorn, and drinks at the concession stand. A major plus for me is the complementary popcorn shakers offered across the concession lobby. The stand will also bring other menu items like their churro bites and pizza to your seat hot and ready. Speaking of the seats, the theater offers heated seats, reclining seats, and “cuddle” seats which are great for the upcoming holiday. The average price per person is $20, and once you go to Emagine, other movie theaters will feel subpar. 

• Toast and Jam (vegetarian friendly)

Toast and Jam is a hispanic-owned breakfast spot in between Schererville and Crown Point known for their revolving ho

made jams and skillets. Like most breakfast spots, the menu is not just limited to breakfast items with delicious lunch items like the “Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry”. I am a huge fan of just the plain “Toast and Jam.” I would really recommend the pineapple jam if available however you do get the three available jams of the day automatically. Also, the “Hog Haven Omelette” always finds its way to my table. The average cost per person is around $20-25 and it’s the perfect way to start your morning across from someone you love. 

• Texas Roadhouse

Despite the “throwdown” attitude of the country restaurant, Texas Roadhouse is a fun affordable restaurant with quality food. While everyone’s favorite menu item is definitely the complimentary rolls and cinnamon butter, the restaurant is also known for its house cut steaks and other great Texan menu items. My personal favorites are the “Cactus Blossom,” “Combo Appetizer” and the “Pulled Pork Dinner”. You are certain to enjoy Texas-sized fan favorites for extremely affordable prices, the rolls are never ending, and the service is always great. The average cost per person is about $15-20.

• Refuge Coffee 

Another great morning date would be Refuge Coffee on Main St. in Crown Point. The coffee roastery offers delicious coffees and bakery/breakfast options. Be prepared, as their coffees are extremely strong! As a daily coffee drinker, these coffees always give me a caffeine shock, without tasting like coffee grinds! I would personally recommend the “Breakfast” bagel on pretzel and also the “Coffee Cake” muffin. As for drinks, the “Salted Caramel Latte” with caramelized white chocolate is also amazing. Per person you can expect to send $15. 

• El Salto (Vegetarian Friendly)

Last but not least is El Salto with multiple locations in the Northwest Indiana area. The restaurant has an amazing menu with portions big enough to share with your family. I would recommend the “Queso Fundido” to start the table off and the “Burrito El Salto” is definitely the star of the menu. The burrito offers three meats and is huge enough for three people to struggle to finish. For only $17 that’s a steal. The average per person is normally $15-20, however you can certainly feed you and your date for that price here making this the cheapest date spot on this list.

I hope that you and your special someone, loved ones, or yourself enjoy these date spots this upcoming Valentine’s day. Don’t forget the flowers!