Boys tennis strives to keep Sectional streak alive

Tom DiGrispino

Senior Benzi Corrales is playing at No. 1 singles this year.

Colin Rogers, Staff Writer

The boys tennis team is looking forward to another successful season despite some doubt due to the loss of the Class of ‘21 seniors. After last year’s fourth straight Sectional win, the team is gearing up to add another title.

Even with the loss of four vital varsity players, Senior Benzi Corrales still has confidence that they can claim another win at sectionals this year. Corrales wants to be a role model this season and set an example for the newer players.

“The loss of the four seniors was definitely a heavy blow to the team as they were all valuable varsity players, but everything is a fight and we have to keep trying,” Corrales said. “They were always there to teach me what I’ve been doing wrong and told me stuff that I tell the underclassmen now.”

As a senior, he gives the same advice that past seniors have given him: try hard, practice harder.

Before each match Benzi Corrales and Senior Mathew Sahagun work on their shots to prepare for their approaching match when facing opponents on the home side.

“Practicing more often, hitting more often, and getting more in tune with the game,” Sahagun said.

Corrales has improved many aspects of his game throughout his tennis career, however he still needs to improve his mental game. Keeping cool and collected before a match can be the key to a victory.

“I try to listen to music to get me in the mood and have fun with my friends so it is not so serious and I can be relaxed,” Corrales said.

Corrales isn’t the only player who strives to improve his game. Sophomore Anthony Patton also needs to tighten up his game and fix some little mistakes. He also agrees that the loss of seniors this season will have a huge impact on the team and the chance for another sectional win this year.

“The [Class of 21’] seniors were able to pull through for the fourth year in sectionals, but with the loss of them and having limited resources, all the other teams [will feel that negative effect],” Patton said.

The Boy’s Tennis Team is already half way through the season currently going 3-8 with a .273 PCT. With hardwork and dedication, the team can pull through and work on their game to bring home another ecstatic sectional win to keep the streak alive.

“I just want to win sectionals, that is my number one priority and be a good leader for the team and the upcoming players and underclassmen,” Corrales said.