The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

Some quality career options to keep your pockets full

Choosing a college major

As a senior/junior you may be looking to go college and you are not sure what you should major in. Here are some tips when choosing a college major.

When choosing your major you want to make sure it is something you enjoy. You want a major that is always going to be in demand. Perhaps if another pandemic happened you want a job that is not going to lay you off. You want a career that is needed even if a zombie apocalypse happened. 

The medical field has in0demand jobs. It is always needed. If we don’t have nurses and doctors, who is going to take care of patients?

In the medical field there are jobs where you only have to go to school for 2-3  years and get an associates degree.  If you decide to go higher in education that is your choice. 

When you get out of college you want to make decent money. You don’t want to have wasted time and money on student loans coming out of college struggling to pay your bills when all you have to do is research quality careers. You don’t want to have to worry about how you are going to pay your bills. You want a career that is able to pay a house and car note. 

Here are some more quality careers to look into:

Sonography Aka Ultrasound tech

Sonography is a type of medical imaging test that uses high-frequency sound waves to create pictures of different internal parts of the body.  The image created is known as a sonogram. . Sonographer look at different diseases that may be in the body. There are multiple fields in sonography including, ob/gyn, vascular, cardiac and many more to choose from. You can one day be a contracting or travel sonographer.

For more information check out this website ​​Sonography: Purpose, Preparation, Risks, and Results (health.com)

Computer Engineering

This is a good major to go into because it’s always in demand. Hospitals, Workplaces etc will need people to fix their computers.  According to Forbes, Computer engineers salary is $80,000 per year. Computer engineers build the base (hardware) of the computer instead of the computer interface. They learn how to research, design and test computer systems and supporting components. When you graduate you can work in laboratories or manufacturing facilities where you are able to build and test hardware. 

Medical laboratory technologist
Also known as a medical technologist or clinical laboratory scientist. They analyze a variety of biological specimens.  They are responsible for performing scientific tests on samples and when they receive results they report them to physicians. They use sophisticated equipment like microscopes.

They have a wide variety of responsibilities, including:

• Examining and analyzing blood, body fluids, tissues, and cells
  • Relaying test results to physicians
  • Utilizing microscopes, cell counters, and other high-precision lab equipment 
  • Cross-matching blood for transfusion
  • Monitoring patient outcomes
  • Performing differential cell counts looking for abnormal cells to aid in the diagnosis of anemia and leukemia
  • Establishing quality assurance programs to monitor and ensure the accuracy of test results
  • Overseeing the work of a medical laboratory technician

For more information you can check out this website https://college.mayo.edu/academics/explore-health-care-careers/careers-a-z/medical-laboratory-scientist/#:~:text=A%20medical%20laboratory%20scientist%20(MLS,and%20reporting%20results%20to%20physicians.

Physical therapist 

Physical therapists assist individuals who are ill or injured achieve better movement and pain management.  Most of the time, physical therapists are on their feet. Patients are the focus of their active labor. A Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree is required to practice physical therapy. The demand for physical therapists is very high.

For more information you can check out this website – >​​Physical Therapists : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov)

Forensic scientist 

This could be an excellent career choice for you if you enjoy science.

the practice of using scientific and physical methods to study criminal and civil law. In addition to the investigation and prosecution of crimes like rape, murder, and drug trafficking, forensic science may also be used in cases where no crime has been committed but a civil wrong has been allegedly committed, like willful pollution of the air or water or causing industrial injuries.

They occasionally work in the lab or travel to the scene to collect specimens for analysis. 

For more information you can check out this website Forensic science | Crime Scene Investigation & Analysis | Britannica

Software engineer

Software engineers develop programs and operating systems for computers. They are in high demand because in order for a computer to operate they need software. The reason we have the apps we have today is because of software engineers. They are in demand and are highly needed. 

For more information you can check out this website ​What Is a Software Engineer? | Skills and Career Paths (computerscience.org)

At the end of the day the choice is yours. You only have one life so choose wisely. These are the majors I think are good to do but you may not. It is always important to do your own research.