The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

Gypsy Rose’s freedom sparks controversy

Gypsy Rose Blanchard, newly freed after serving time for the mother of her mother, seems to be living the golden life after eight years in prison. Gypsy Rose Blanchard pleaded guilty to second degree murder in July 2016.

As of right now, the now free, Gypsy Rose has been active on social media, seen in public, in interviews and more.

As with the recent interviews of Gypsy Rose, the public finds itself at a crossroads, torn between supporting her narrative of victimhood or criticizing her for her role in the murder of her mother, Dee Dee Blanchard. 

Claudine (Dee Dee) Blanchard passed her own daughter off as being mentally ill. She claimed Gypsy suffered from sleep apnea, lukeimia, and muscle dystrophy. Doctors claim Claudine had Munchhausen syndrome, a disorder which causes the caretaker to make someone ill to get attention. 

The blurred lines between sympathy and skepticism have sparked a heated debate on whether to support or cancel Gypsy Rose. 

While Blanchard served eight out of ten years, her boyfriend who actually did the killing is serving a life sentence, despite having a mental illness. 

In one of her recent interviews after being freed, Gypsy Rose stated that she’s “not a murderer.” Additionally in her recent interviews, she talks about how her mom, Dee Dee, treated her badly for years, making her go through unnecessary medical stuff. She claims she did what she had to do to break free from all that. Some people feel sorry for her, thinking she was just trying to escape an awful situation. Others aren’t so sure, saying her actions seem planned. 

The supporters of her make the argument that Gypsy Rose was a victim of continuous and long-term abuse and manipulation by her mother, pointing to the years of medical lies she encountered. They sympathize with her attempt to break free from the dangerous environment, portraying her as someone who was pushed to extreme measures by conditions beyond her control.

On the other side of that argument, opponents question the authenticity of Gypsy Rose’s victim narrative, featuring the severity of her role in her mother’s murder. Doubts revolve around the thoughts about whether her actions were solely a response to the constant abuse or if there were malicious intentions behind the crime.

Although many applauded her long and awaited release, there have been many circumstances of backlash received from the public.

“He’s the one that did the actual kill, not me, I can’t kill anyone,” Gypsy said in one of her recent interviews referring back to her ex-boyfriend, Nicholas Godejohn.

This attempt to separate herself from the act of the murder of her mother, has left the public puzzled. Some question the reliability of her statement, emphasizing her role in the planning of the crime

These recent interviews are making people argue about whether she was defending herself or if she really meant to kill her mom. Either way, it’s a messy situation that’s got everyone talking.