Senior gymnast forges special bonds with teammates

Tom DiGrispino

Senior gymnast performs on the uneven parallel bars on Senior Night.

Kyleigh Seay, Staff Writer

After being on the team for four years, Senior gymnast Emily Jimenez feels fulfilled wrapping up this final chapter, as she says this is her best year both mentally and physically.  

“I love my team, and I think that as long as I’ve been doing gymnastics, this year has really moved me to be captain,” Jimenez said. 

Although she is captain, her teammates help her just as much as she does them. They speak positively and encourage one another. 

“Emily is a great captain, ” Junior Kamyra Williams, a fellow gymnast, said. “Before my first pass on the floor, practice or meet, she stands in the corner and cheers me on telling me I can do it. Her presence is naturally motivating and gives you a brighter spirit. If she sees you performing a skill whether it’s small or big, she’ll stop what she’s doing to cheer you on.” 

Jimenez makes her teammates’ success a priority. 

“My favorite part about being on the team is getting to see my teammates accomplish all their goals, and as a team, getting to bond with them,”’ she said. 

With numerous successes under her belt, she hopes to end her last high school career on the bars, by winning regionals, individually and as a team. 

“My favorite event is bars, and I believe I am very clean in that category,” she said.

Jimenez recently just came in first place for bars against LaPorte as well as floor and all-around. She also scored second place in both beam and vault. 

“I do not plan on pursuing this hobby after high school but I’ve loved every moment so far,” Jimenez said.  

She definitely has left an impact on her teammates. 

“Emily and I have many memories together on the team” Williams said. “I don’t think I can specifically pick one if I’m being honest. Every-time I go in the gym, going to talk to her will be the best memories. We talk about each other’s problems and day and then laugh until we can’t  breathe after. She’s not only a great senior captain, but an amazing friend as well.”