Homecoming returns to MHS

After three years of missing homecoming due to COVID-19 effects, Merrillville High School is back on track and getting ready for its big return.

The MHS Homecoming dance will be on Saturday, October 1st from 7-10pm in the Hall of Flags. Students will enter through Door M. Students must have their ticket and ID to be allowed entry. The theme of the dance is ‘Enchanted Garden’.

Homecoming tickets were sold last week in the Main Cafeteria for $25 during all lunch hours. Late ticket purchases can be made today, September 26th for $30. This will be the last day to purchase tickets. All ticket purchases also include a ticket to the Homecoming football game.

Spirit week will start today. The theme is Sunday’s Best, Tuesday is Twin Day, Wednesday is Wacky Tacky, Thursday is Throwback Thursday, and Friday is class colors. Seniors will wear black, Juniors will wear white, Sophomores will wear purple, and Freshman will wear green.

The Pep Rally will take place during school on Friday in the Main Gym. The band will be performing as students are entering. The homecoming court will be introduced, then the cheer, dance, and step team, followed by the football players. The Senior football players will be recognized first, and then the rest of the team. Class chants and activities will be taking place, and students are encouraged to have fun and be involved!

The Homecoming football game is on Friday, September 30th at 7 p.m. against Valparaiso. The game is at home, and the theme for the student section is Halloween costumes!

The Homecoming parade will take place Thursday evening. The parade route will start from the back of Merrillville High school, around door G, and will proceed down Broadway, and make its way back to the other entrance of the school.

Voting for homecoming queen will take place during school Friday, after students watch the Homecoming court videos from PNN.

MHS is beyond excited to bring homecoming back, and hope students enjoy themselves and stay safe this week throughout the festivities!