The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

New wave of rappers making a splash

There is a continuous debate on what generation of music is the best. New music is created every single day by several different artists. Ranging from country to rap, unknown to mainstream, instrumentals to lyrical and so much more. 

Older artists like Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, The Beatles are only some of the more well-known artists in the past that are highly adored around the world. 

Lately though, there have been new waves of artists that have sparked attention. Rappers like BabyTron, Veeze, Babyface Ray, Sexyy Red, and Ice Spice have unique rapping styles.

Their rapping styles are faster, their voices are distinctive, and unusually most of them mumble the lyrics but in a way that still manages to make their songs enjoyable. I feel as if the differences between this style of rapping and the rap we’re used to hearing is something that people are going to have to get used to. 

It’s interesting how the styles of music have changed tremendously over time. Over the decades, the beats are at high speeds, voices have become different and more swift and so much more. In this new wave of music, rappers attempt to take their own spin of their idea of music. The rap game is forever evolving and changing.

Most of these rappers have grown overnight because of their social media presence. The rise of Sexyy Red and Ice Spice in just a short amount of time has proven how open media is to the new generation of music.

One thing about the new wave of music that also catches the attention of the audience are the visuals. The music videos that come with their music is one of the best things about hearing it. It’s like having your favorite main dish with your favorite side! 

These new rappers are just starting their journeys off at very young ages, their platforms are expanding at a rapid pace. Luh Tyler, a 17-year-old upcoming rapper is currently signed to Atlantic Records. Atlantic Records is a very known record company, signing big names like Cardi B, Kodak Black, Lil Uzi Vert, and so many other mainstream stars. 

As always the alumni of rap will always be respected and adored upon the community. For now though, these new waves of rappers and artists are looking like the move.