The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Beyhive swarms over Beyoncé’s new film 

Beyoncé’s highly anticipated film, “Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé,” has made its way to theaters worldwide, causing excitement among her devoted fan base, the Beyhive. This film takes the audience on a behind-the-scenes journey of Beyoncé’s legendary four-year tour, while also delving into the inspiration behind the album, including her uncle Johnny and the vibrant ballroom scene of the 1970s.

The world tour, which spanned from May 10 to Oct. 1, 2023, was Beyoncé’s biggest to date, featuring an impressive 148 different looks from 35 renowned fashion houses. She traveled to 10 countries and 39 cities, captivating 2.7 million fans with her mesmerizing performances in the “House of Chrome.” This tour generated a staggering $579 million in revenue worldwide. 

“Renaissance” garnered significant attention even before its release, earning around $6-7 million in presale tickets. Since its opening a week ago, the film has already grossed almost $30 million, a testament to its popularity and the anticipation surrounding it.

This documentary stands out as one of the most creative and introspective films of its kind, shedding light on the challenges of being an artist and a mother to three children. In an interview with TIME Magazine, Beyoncé expressed how the project allowed her to feel liberated and adventurous during a time when she felt stagnant. She also emphasized the themes of escapism, hedonism, self-assurance, and self-expression that are present in the film.

“Renaissance” delves deep into Beyoncé’s seventh studio album, which draws inspiration from queer culture and features samples from underground drag legends such as Kevin Aviance and Moi Renee. Special appearances by Ts Madison and Big Freedia, along with DJ Honey Dijon’s production, contribute to the album’s unique and vibrant sound.

The album also pays homage to the Harlem ballroom scene, a significant African-American and Latinx LGBTQ+ subculture that emerged in New York during the 1970s. The film credits Crystal and Lottie for discovering the first house in the ballroom scene. However, what makes this album particularly special is that it is dedicated to Beyoncé’s late Uncle Johnny. Tina Knowles, Beyoncé’s mother, shared on Instagram how close she was to Uncle Johnny, describing him as her nanny, housekeeper, designer, dance partner, confidant, and best friend. His influence on Beyoncé’s upbringing, sense of style, and uniqueness is immeasurable.

“Renaissance” is undeniably one of the standout documentaries of the year. Beyoncé not only showcases her own artistry but also shines a spotlight on the hardworking crew, the lighting team, the cinematographers, and the dancers who help bring her vision to life. She candidly discusses her personal journey, from being a young girl from Houston, Texas, to touring the world, and how she now sees the world through the eyes of her daughter, Blue Ivy. Beyoncé’s iconic status and the impact she has had on countless individuals make this tour and film a topic of conversation for years to come.