The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Color Purple finds new audience with powerful story, music

The newly released musical version of The Color Purple movie has captivated a new generation with its powerful storytelling. 

Originally a Pulitzer Prize-winning book written by Alice Walker, The Color Purple follows the journey of Celie as she defies the negative stereotypes imposed on her. Set in the 1900s, the story documents the traumas and triumphs of Celie, a black woman. 

In 1985, the book was adapted into a movie featuring a stellar cast including Whoopi Goldberg, Oprah Winfrey, Danny Glover, and others. The movie was a commercial success, earning over $94 million and making a significant impact by depicting female relationships as a sanctuary in a cruel and violent world. It fearlessly tackled topics such as domestic and physical abuse, with Celie finding her voice and declaring, “I’m Here.”

The story was later reimagined as a musical by Marsha Norman, with lyrics and composition by Allee Willis, Brenda Russell, and Stephen Bray. Running from 2005 to 2008, the musical received eleven Tony Awards in 2006. It was revived in 2015, featuring a talented cast including Cynthia Erivo, Danielle Brooks, Jennifer Hudson, and others. The musical garnered two Tony Awards, including Best Musical. Although it closed on Broadway in January 2017, it has now returned, adapted for a new generation.

Reprising their roles from the original Broadway production are Fantasia as Celie and Danielle Brooks as Sofia from the revival. Joining them are Taraji P. Henson, Colman Domingo, Corey Hawkins, Halle Bailey, and H.E.R. 

The story is incredibly powerful, evoking a range of emotions from start to finish. The music adds another layer of strength to the narrative, enhancing the performances. The cast of The Color Purple fully embodies their characters, delivering raw and groundbreaking performances. While promoting the movie, their main intention was to provide healing for black women. 

The film emphasizes the importance of community, independence, and the belief that God is always by your side. With critical acclaim and its resonance with the current generation, The Color Purple is a perfect cinematic experience.