The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

Williams leads Pirates to DAC title

Tom DiGrispino

Ever since he was born, Jaeden Williams has been around basketball, developing a deep love for the game. His love became deeper ever since. 

However, he also found out he had to prove some doubters wrong.

“Everybody told me I was too small and shouldn’t even be on certain teams. I just fight to prove them wrong,” he said.

Williams has been playing with the Merrillville varsity team since his freshman year, and he has emerged as a true leader.

Jaeden is just special. He is a leader on the team and he brings us together and is all connected,” Sophomore Bryce Peters said.

Peters says Williams gets everyone in the right spot on the court at all times, which helps him become a great leader. 

“Being a leader for him impacts a lot on this team and it also helps us stay connected on the court. He also keeps us coordinated by getting us where we need to be at all times,” he said.

Williams and the Pirates finished the regular season with a 64-57 victory over Penn, closing out the season as DAC co-champions. They face East Chicago on Wednesday in the first round of the Sectionals.

I am making sure my team and I are staying focused and prepared, but also having a good time. That and staying close with God,” he said. “I make sure everybody is good and I make sure they’re day is good and that they are ready to play basketball. I see what they are doing in school and making sure they are in their classes.” 

Williams thinks that Merrillville basketball is diverse in their play style and ethic. “Merrillville stands out from other high school teams because of our coaching of having the ability and diversity to play the game fast and slow. For example, we can run and gun but also move the ball,” he said.

He likes defense as his best team strategy because the team can force turnovers and have more opportunities to score on them. “Team strategies would be defense first, push the ball second for the most part,” he said.

The team has learned to focus in the game by not letting things get into his head. “We have learned to block out outside noise within playoff games, stay together and push the game plan,” he said.