The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

Students experience near totatility during latest eclipse

Under the dim sky students and  teachers were outside to see the solar eclipse.

The experience allowed friends to enjoy a natural show with each other  and to share the memory. 

“I thought it was very interesting considering I haven’t seen one before. It was something new to watch it with your friends and to see it with the glasses was crazy,” Junior Sabrina Smith said. “We were all just laying down on the grass with our sunglasses and some of us even took pictures covering our phones with the glasses.”

Monday’s eclipse was a rare phenomenon where the moon covers the sun. Indianapolis and Bloomington reached total coverage, while locally 97 percent of the sun was covered.

Senior Ember Wolstenholme. remembers watching the 2017 eclipse and was excited to see another one.

“I liked seeing it with my friends and seeing the almost total coverage,” she said. “If it was total coverage I think it would have been a lot more interesting if it was total coverage because it would be darker.”

The timing of the eclipse was also special for Wolstenholme. 

“I don’t think it’s the end of the world,” she said, referring to online conspiracies. “I think that it’s cool to think of it like a new beginning. With Easter and everything, the rolling of the stone from the tomb is kind of like temporary darkness but then there’s a new light that comes with it.”

Although this eclipse is special for most, all eclipses are a sight to behold to Mr. Robert Heckler who teaches Earth and Space Science.

“Any solar eclipse is special because they are rare but also, this event happened so close to NWI that it easily made it convenient to be in the path of totality. This was much the case for the entire US.  Plus this eclipse lasted longer than most since the orbit of the moon was close to the earth casting a larger shadow path.”

Solar eclipses are a beautiful thing and Smith hopes this isn’t the only one she sees.