The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

Students spreads uplifting messages

Jasmine Mabon had a single dream that has now impacted many students’ lives at MHS in an attempt to spread positivity and encourage a walk in faith. 

Mabon, a sophomore, began small, just leaving small notes in the restroom, but quickly rose to create an organization that further spreads her purpose. 

“I started the organization (Y.O.U.) because I started talking to the people around me. And I could just see the same hurt in all of the people around me,” Mabon said. “And for me, personally, I went through my own hurt.”

Mabon recognized the similarities between her and others, and decided to try to help.

“So I was able to move past that by having faith by prayer and all of that, and you don’t really hear about prayer in school,” Mabon said. “So I decided, well, if anyone is going to do it, why not?”

Mabon began a prayer locker, where students can leave anonymous notes about their struggles or obstacles they are facing and she prays over them. This decision caused her to be nervous.

“I had to overcome my own doubts, and my own fears when I was doing it, because I didn’t know how people would react,’ she said. “And you know, some people are very opinionated, and are very loud about that opinion. So I was really nervous about that.”

Mabon took her fear and turned it into something positive.

“But then I saw , the first time I did it, I said, Okay, we’re gonna do it anyway, really scared, fearful, doubtful, whatever, as long as I put it out there, and that was really the first step into it,” she said.

Mabon did experience some negative and positive feedback from this act.

“I got some negative feedback,” she said. “And the person that did it actually came up to me personally and apologized for it. Other than that, I got a lot of positive feedback, and people loved it. And people love to see things like that, which I wasn’t sure about before I did it. And I was kind of concerned about it. But I definitely had a lot of positivity from it.

Mabon hopes her purpose touches many.

“I hope that someone just finds hope and sees the light in the darkness, and that their pain doesn’t have to be where they die, and to just make someone smile,” she said.