Band takes on first competition in more than a year

Lauren Molenda, Editor

The percussion, woodwinds, and drum majors took on their first marching band competition of the year, bringing home a silver ranking this past Saturday at Hobart High School.

Drum Major Markee’a Vassar (11) felt a rush of adrenaline as the band took the field, and was excited to see everyone back and playing together.

“I was looking around at all of the people and was like woah,” Vassar said. “I was trying to keep my composure because everybody else was getting anxious, so I was just trying to keep us calm and collected. Once we stepped out onto the practice field, I felt more confident and wasn’t super nervous anymore.”

The band performed select pieces from The Greatest Showman, bringing a fun environment onto the field. Senior Drum Major Joseph Selweon has reflected on their performance, and believes with some tweaking and adjustments they will be on the path to perfection.

“In our first movement, we did everything really well,” Sleweon said.” I can’t really complain about the sets, about the music…but second movement we still have some things to clean up. At the beginning, we sounded strong and I think we made a good impression, but as the piece went on things started to get a little out of shape, so that’s definitely something we could improve upon.”

Vassar is proud of the hard work put in by her fellow band members, and can’t wait to see how they will continue to grow throughout the season.

“I definitely agree with the judge’s scores, and silver was the right choice for our performance. There’s a lot of feedback from the judges that I agree with, because there’s a lot that we can still practice and improve, but the Greatest Show was great. I’m so proud!.”