The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

“Oops! Forgot to tell you it’s actually my last day!” – Early Grads, CO ’24

With passions for branching out into more, seniors across the school are passionate about finishing their high school journey early.

For the many graduating seniors, expediting their high school career designates their moves towards their goals and a new chapter in their lives. Most are avid on entering the workforce and assuring they’re financially stable before going onto college. Many others feel as if they’re ready to take on the next step of their lives. 

“I plan on utilizing my time by focusing on the stuff I do at home, music and stuff, focus on getting my permit because I’m 17, I don’t have my permit, and focusing on getting a job, working, and saving some money,” Senior Isaiah Donald said.

Students have found that graduating early could potentially assist them with their jobs and help them financially in general.

“I’ll be able to get a jump on my job and help me with the funds I need. I’m looking forward to the paychecks too,” Senior Alexander Conn said.

During their highschool careers, these graduating seniors have accomplished many achievements throughout their journeys. 

“My Microsoft Excel and Word certifications were some of my biggest accomplishements. I also learned how to use Photoshop. I know how to use Premiere Pro, so I know graphic design, I know how to edit videos, and I also know how to record videos as well,” Donald said. 

Although having the desire for graduating early, seniors have found some doubts in doing so. Many of the worries stem from not getting the same amount of knowledge and experience as other students.  

“I feel like if I don’t have enough knowledge coming in, I’m not going to be able to motivate myself to just do it myself,” Donald added.

Graduating seniors have essentially decided to use the much needed free time to help them get their lives more situated. 

“It’ll be good because I’m going to have a lot of time on my hands to get my college stuff squared away, get my classes picked out, have meetings with my advisor, just setting up everything, like FAFSA and everything.” 

Graduating early has put seniors in a better position overall, helping them with funds, giving them extra time to get situated and more.

“Really think about it before you do it. It’s a decision I made a while ago but I would just say really think about it and give it some thought, especially going into the year because you might meet some really cool people that you wouldn’t expect to meet. You earned it though. I don’t regret it at all,” Donald said.