The Mirror

The Student News Site of Merrillville High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

Cinderella brings dual stars into the spotlight

When not taking on the starring role, Corynn Morgan (show in back third from left) and Brianna Koves play part of the ensemble. (A. Skertic)

When sophomores Brianna Koves and Corynn Morgan decided to audition for the play Cinderella, they did not expect the results.

This musical is the “Rodger and Hammerstein” rendition of Cinderella. With a student cast and stage crew of about 30 kids, they all put their best effort into rehearsals. This musical was carefully picked out by Mrs. Reinhart. When picking this musical she had to consider the talent pool available and which would earn them back the most money. This thinking is what led her to picking Cinderella.

“Some plays can have roles that could be considered ‘gender neutral,’ but with a musical, that causes problems with singers having to sing out of their vocal range,” Mrs. Reinhart said, “For example, we recently saw a high school version of Spongebob where they cast a female voice in a male role… the vocals were much too low for them to sing or when sung in their range…”

At the auditions for Cinderella, there were two people that stood out to Mrs. Reinhart. Those people were Brianna Koves and Corynn Morgan. They both had auditioned for the lead character, Cinderella. 

“Both Brianna and Corynn have their strengths as performers,” Ms. Reinhart said, “I am not a fan of double casting… however, in this instance it seemed like a wise move.”

Having a double-casted lead comes with pros and cons. Despite this, both the leads are able to work together very well. 

“Not in a bad way, in the best way it could because instead of doing it on my own I have somebody who can help me on where I’m supposed to be at and what I need to get done,” Morgan said. 

Having enough rehearsal time is crucial to being a lead. When you have tons of lines to memorize, you will definitely need as much rehearsal time as you can get.

“…there are times where we have to split rehearsal time so there might be something I need to practice but I can’t because we have to switch,” Koves said, “But it’s nice having somebody who knows what I’m supposed to be doing”.

Some cast members are also dedicated to helping Ms. Reinhart. Along with practicing for the musical, they are helping clear out Reinhart Auditorium for the summer renovations.

“As we prepare for that to happen, we are in the process of having to clear our performance and storage areas of everything,” said Ms. Reinhart, “It has been challenging to work on both projects simultaneously”.

Each of the cast members, along with Ms. Reinhart has been putting in a generous amount of work into this musical.

“We are truly excited to share this timeless enchantment of a magical fairy tale with the community!” said Ms. Reinhart, “Bring your little princes or princesses to meet our cast after the show.”